Age Group: High School, College
Key Text: Ephesians 2:8
The story of Jonah is the story of every Christian. It is about transformation—from self reliance to God reliance. It is about a journey—from skepticism to faith. It is about a relationship—between a wretched sinner and a forgiving God. The twists and turns in the life of Jonah are not unlike the ones we experience. But no matter how difficult the challenges we face, there is hope. Hope exists because we don’t journey alone. It’s about God and you—together.
- Drawing a time line of the past 10 years of your spiritual life, color coding the ups and downs and twists and turns you have experienced.
- Finding ways to offer hope to different groups in your community—latch-key children, the homeless, the elderly, school peers.
- Planting a tree in your church yard to symbolize the spiritual growth of your Sabbath School class.
- Molding an “original” sculpture with clay and then journaling your understanding of how this activity compares to the process of spiritual transformation.
- Running an advertisement in your local newspaper about God’s offer to travel alongside us on life’s journey.
- Collecting articles from this week’s newspaper that affirms the need for God’s amazing grace upon this sinful world.
Additional Reading: Calvin Miller, Into the Depths of God, chap. 9; Ephesians 2:1-9; Testimonies, vol. 2, p. 179